Duplexes are rare on Anna Maria Island. I scour the MLS regularly looking for them because, for certain investors, they are the perfect purchase and a real money maker. But there is a formula to getting it right. Here’s what you should look for:
- Within 3 blocks of the beach. The closer your rental is to the beach, the more likely you are to for the maximum weeks. People come to AMI for a lot of reasons, but all of them come for the beach first and foremost.
- It must have a pool. If you want to make money on your rental and not just cover the mortgage, it needs a pool. And not just one pool, two pools. People want a private pool, period.
- It should have at least 2 bedrooms. You will find a ton of successful rentals with 2 bedrooms, but three is the sweet spot. If you have a duplex with 3 bedrooms on each side and private pools, you have a home run.
- Two bathrooms and an outdoor shower are key. A one bath can be successful, but two bathrooms will win the renter from a one bath home. And outdoor shower is icing on the cake.
- Make it beachy. People come here for what? For the beach. And they want to live and breathe island life, so beach decor is what they’re looking for. Going all Tuscan may make you happy, but that isn’t what your renters want.
You may not find the perfect duplex that hits my four points on the market right now. If they show up, they go fast. However, there are some with potential on the market right now, and one 2 bedroom 2 bathroom that could easily be made into a 3/2 each side.
If you’re interested in learning more about duplexes available on Anna Maria Island or other island homes, I can help. Email me or call my cell at 570-878-6098.